Read on to learn the health and nutritional benefits of blue cheese dressing
Blue cheese dressing is popularly used in the US as a dressing for salads or dips for vegetables and wings. Its ingredients such as mayonnaise, sour cream, and yogurt combine to give it a balanced flavor. This article has discussed the nutritional facts and health benefits of blue cheese dressing.
One tablespoon of blue cheese dressing provides the following nutrients:
- A negligible amount i.e. 0.7 grams of carbohydrates, are present in one tablespoon of blue cheese dressing. Therefore, this amount of carbohydrates has minimal effect on blood sugar levels.
The total fats in one tablespoon of blue cheese dressing are 7 grams. The quantity of fats in blue cheese dressing is distributed as follows:
- Saturated fats 1.2 g
- Unsaturated fats 4.1 g
- Monounsaturated fats 2 g
Some cholesterol is also present, along with a combination of heart-healthy fats and saturated fats. Some companies also sell reduced-fat or fat-free varieties of blue cheese dressing.
- Although blue cheese dressing contains a low amount of protein, the protein content can be raised by using Greek yogurt as the base.
- Blue cheese dressing does not contain many vitamins, minerals, and other micronutrients. But it can increase the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, D, E, and K from the diet. Moreover, it provides calcium and phosphorus which are great for bone health and energy production.
- About 140 kilocalories are present in one serving of blue cheese dressing. One serving of blue cheese dressing is 2 tablespoons. A major portion of these calories comes from fats. Carbohydrates and proteins contribute a minimal number of calories.
Some of the incredible health benefits of blue cheese dressing are discussed below:
Reduces Risk Of Bone Diseases
- The presence of calcium and phosphorus in the blue cheese dressing supports teeth and bone health as well as reduces the risk of bone diseases including osteoporosis.
Intake of dairy products such as cheese, yogurt, or sour cream is linked with a lower risk of hip and bone fractures.
Supports Gut Health
- Blue cheese is manufactured through the process of fermentation which gives it the characteristic tangy and distinctive taste. Good bacteria are produced by fermentation which improves gut health. As indicated by research, consumption of fermented dairy products such as blue cheese dressing is associated with a reduced risk of metabolic disorders and a healthy gut.
Since blue cheese dressing does not have gluten-containing ingredients, it is also suitable for individuals on a gluten-free diet. Adding blue cheese dressing to your diet is, therefore, an important way of supporting gut health.
Good For Brain Health
- Research indicates that the addition of fermented dairy products to a regular diet along with a combination of a balanced diet, exercise, and other preventive approaches prevents the risk of dementia.
Blue cheese has anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties. The activity of these compounds may be effective in preventing cognitive decline.
Protects Heart Health
- Spermidine is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound that is found in blue cheese. This compound is believed to slow down the natural process of aging and improve heart health. Spermidine intake is linked to a reduced risk of heart diseases and lower blood pressure levels.
Mike’s Amazing Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing is made with a blend of herbs and selected spices. The dressing gives a creamy, rich, full-bodied flavor to compliment any dish. Visit our website to place your order or call us at 201-596-3717.