What is Dijon Mustard? Here is an overview of its history, health advantages, and nutritional profile
Dijon mustard has been around since the 1850s. It is known for its classic flavor that compliments several dishes. Its consistency is similar to yellow mustard but gives a hot, creamy, and sharp taste to food. Continue reading to learn more about it.
What Is Dijon Mustard?
Dijon mustard is a popular condiment made by using brown mustard seeds. It is named after the town of Dijon in Burgundy. It has a slightly creamy consistency and a distinct pale-yellow color. Dijon mustard is gluten-free and vegan.
History Of Dijon Mustard
- Dijon mustard originated in the city of Dijon, France. Mustard is grown in vineyards under the rows of vines. Dijon, France, was recognized as a producer of mustard by the 1200s. It is now regarded as the mustard capital of the world. In ancient days verjuice, or the juice from unripe grapes, was used to make Dijon mustard.
However, in modern Dijon mustard, white wine is substituted for verjuice, giving it a sharp and tangy flavor. This makes it quite different from the original recipe. The term Dijon mustard has now become generic, and any mustard made by using a basic Dijon recipe is referred to as Dijon mustard.
About 80% of the world’s Dijon mustard is made from Canadian mustard seed. Dijon mustard is low in calories and provides an abundance of minerals. One teaspoon of Dijon mustard contains the following nutrients.
- 0.35 grams of total fat
- 0.6 grams carbohydrates
- 0.3 grams proteins
- 0.3 grams fiber
- 150 mg sodium
- 11 mg potassium
- 5 mg calcium
- 0.15 mg iron
- 0.2 mg vitamin C
- The main ingredients used for making Dijon mustard are brown mustard seeds and white wine. In addition, verjuice is added to give it a characteristic flavor. In the original recipe, white wine was used. This wine was made from the Chardonnay grapes grown in the Burgundy region of France.
Other ingredients include:
- Modified Food Starch
- Egg yolks
Health Benefits Of Dijon Mustard
- Dijon Mustard enhances the taste of different foods and delivers a bunch of health benefits. Let us take a look at the top health benefits of consuming Mike’s Amazing Dijon Mustard.
Fights Cancerous Cells
- Mustards are a rich source of several phytochemicals, including glucosinolates. Phytochemicals are antioxidants that inactivate carcinogenic compounds. Studies indicate that glucosinolates found in mustard kill cancer-causing agents and prevent them from spreading. Regular consumption of mustard sauce can reduce the risk of bladder, cervical, and colon cancers.
Regulates Blood Sugar Levels
- Intake of Dijon mustard is beneficial for people with type 2 Diabetes. The efficacy of diabetes medications significantly improves when taken together with Dijon mustard.
Helpful For Psoriasis
- Psoriasis is a type of skin rash that causes itchy lesions on the knees, elbows, and scalp. The inflammation from psoriasis can be reduced by consuming a diet rich in mustard seeds.
Reduces The Risk Of Infections
- The antioxidants present in Dijon mustard boost immune health and protect against bacterial and fungal infections.
Healthy Muscle And Bones
- Mustard seeds have rubefacient properties that improve blood flow by increasing the size of blood capillaries. Consumption of mustard sauce can help cure muscle spasms that often occur due to the constriction of blood capillaries. In addition, a regular intake of mustard sauce provides optimum levels of potassium, calcium, and other nutrients that promote healthy bones, joints, and muscles.
Mike’s Amazing Dijon Mustard is made with a perfect blend of delightful spices, herbs, and the highest quality ingredients. To place your order, contact Mike’s Amazing brand. We manufacture multiple sauces, condiments, mayonnaise, and salad dressings. Call us at 201-596-3717 or visit us in Saddle Brook, New Jersey.